Sunday, October 18, 2009

Things I learnt in the first three weeks

I had meant to do a summary post each week of my magazine.  Obviously, that hasn't happened.  I'd love to promise it won't happen again, but as the mother of a small child, a PhD student returning from leave, and a hopeless procrastinator - that's a promise that's made to be broken.

(Of these three, it's really the last one that's the issue.  But I like to try and justify it somehow.)

So while I can't promise this with any great scheduled regularity, I will try.  For my first two magazines I have learnt:

  • There's a lot more to tractors than I had thought.
  • There's about as much depth of journalistic investigative writing in a shopping magazine for kids as I had thought.
  • Even I, who broke my intention to have a "frugal baby" within about 2 seconds of falling pregnant, have my limits from the "aww that's cute" to the "holy mother of batman that is ridiculous" and those limits are way way before the $1600 family death trap - I mean family bucket bike.
  • Going to the Murrambateman field day and recognising the difference between the Massey Fergusons and the John Deeres makes me feel like I fit in.
  • The number one difference between Massey Fergusons and John Deeres that I know is one type is red and the other green.  I said I felt like I fit in, not that I actually did.
  • And finally -  babies and baby tractors?  A winning combination.


New magazine tomorrow - it's been bought and it's a ripper.  Never before have I felt slightly ashamed to be buying a magazine...   (And no, it wasn't in a brown paper cover.)

No comments:

Post a Comment