Monday, October 5, 2009

In these Tough Economic Times...

My mother-in-law reads this blog.  I know this, because after reading yesterday's post, she accused me of being a soft touch, and spoiling Toby (which is, as everyone knows, a grandparent's right and duty, not a mother's!).


Hmmm.  She may have a point.

However, it is Monday and therefore time for a new magazine.   This one I chose for a number of reasons.  Firstly, I have a heap of marking to do this week and I wanted something that required less concentration.  I liked the tractors, but I still don't know what a grub screw is, and this week I don't have the time to try and find out.   Secondly, in the spirit of the economic stimulus, the global economic crisis and calls for consumers to do their bit, I thought this magazine appropriate.  And in light of the TractorGate toy episode, I will do my best not to buy anything for Toby as a result of this week's magazine - a positive shrine to consumerism:  Shop 4 Kids!  



Wait, this may not have been a good idea.

A few years ago, a new magazine came out called Shop Til You Drop.  I was, and still am, astounded that there could be a whole magazine that was just shopping.  Isn't that the point of advertising?

However, Shop Til You Drop was a success, so much so that it has spawned different versions of itself.  There is the one off magazine Shop Girl, aimed at the 'tween' market.  I'm not making this up.  I didn't chose that one because a) it's only a one off - I think magazines need to be periodical to be proper magazines (magazine snob!  Watch me break that rule when there's a one off I actually want to feature) and b) I didn't think I could cope.  I oscillate between being horrified at the concept, and, in the context of having seen my now 13 year old sister start an interest in fashion and shopping over the past 3 years or so, grudgingly impressed at the niche marketing.  As the media flurry shows, I'm not the only one who finds this magazine disturbing.

However, as well as Shop Girl, there's also Shop 4 Kids.  I have a kid.  I shop.  Seems like a perfect combination, right?  It should be an easy week of leafing through a magazine.

Not so much.  My ease of reading so far as been impacted by the eye rolling (oh yes, I think a $159 dress is a great idea for a toddler.  What, there's a matching one for Mum for only $399?  What a fantastic idea!), my genuine inability to tell the difference between the actual content and the advertising at times, and the urge to throw the magazine across the room at certain points (usually involving ridiculously grown up and inappropriate attire for little girls.  No, baby bikinis are not cute.  Nor are little girls lounging by the pool in bathing suits with mocktails and pretending to read Danielle Steele novels).

I also have an issue with the title.  It's the 4.  I mean, Toby is going to be of the sms generation.  I get that.  He'll use acronyms and abbreviations that I don't understand.  Text speech will probably be old school by the time he's baffling me, but I'm sure there will be some alternative to lol or rofl that will be cool.   Even though I get this, I don't have to encourage it.  Can't he learn the real words before we start shortening them?  It's the same reason I refuse to buy any Playskool branded toys.  I don't think toys with a deliberate misspelling in their name is a great start for your child's reading and spelling skills.  I want my kid to write properly, and I want his environment set up to assist this.  If Toby forges a late note, I want it to believable.  "Sry Toby wuz l8 4 skool" just won't cut it!

Hmm.  Far from encouraging my materialistic side, it seems Shop 4 Kids is exposing my curmudgeonly, crunchy, earth mother side.  I have a sudden urge to go out and stir the compost bins while reading to Toby, humming The Internationale and perhaps baking organic cookies.  

It should be a fun week.

3 comments:

  1. She accused you of spoiling Toby? but it's such a cool tractor! That's not spoiling - it's education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have such a hard time repressing my curmudgeonly, crunchy, earth mother side. :) I don't think I could even pick up that magazine.

    Love the toy tractor, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit another reason I chose this magazine was morbid fascination. So far it's not disappointing on that front.

    ReplyDelete