Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sensible things from a shopping magazine

Sounds ridiculous?  Despite my post on Monday, Shop 4 Kids does have some interesting and fairly sensible content.

Top of my list today is the 'Pack your bags' article in the pregnancy section (Shop 4 Kids:  In Utero!)

On the 'Vital, I packed it, would certainly agree list' are
  • Gatorade - I went through a lot.  I got people to bring me some the next morning.  I found that during labour I didn't want to eat, but, given I was in labour for over 24 hours eating was kind of necessary.  Gatorade was a nice compromise.
  • Pyjamas - Yes. But be warned, birth can be a messy business.  Take washable ones, not Peter Alexander silk pyjamas.
  • Toothpaste and toothbrush - simple, but important.  After staying up all night and drinking so much Gatorade (see point 1) that your tongue is slightly blue, cleaning your teeth is a little luxury.
  • Camera - no brainer, really.
  • Champagne!  They suggest Veuve Clicquot, I think we had Mumm.  I say I think because, and this is the family of Mummy conspiracy, I was too whacked out after the birth (and in fact we waited 24 hours) to have more than the tiniest sip.  I'm assured everyone else in the family enjoyed the bubbles though.
The 'No, not really' category
  • Make-up.  The article suggests a make-bag, bronzer, lip gloss, concealer and mascara.  I may be biased here because although I like makeup I wear it probably once a month.   Still, in my experience just washing your hair and cleaning your teeth after giving birth is a high achievement.  Standing up long enough in front of the mirror to actually apply makeup?  Not going to happen.
  • Scented candle.  Nice idea but in most hospitals they don't allow open flames.  Something to do with the highly flammable gases apparently.  
  • Hair-dryer:  See point 1 above.  Unless you have an amazing birth with singing angels, helpful rainbow dolphins and a 4 pound baby that pulls itself out, you aren't going to feel like doing a neat blow out.   Take the scrunchies and prepare for ponytails for a few days.
And finally, in the spirit of something I have learnt from this magazine:  Stuff I wish I'd brought and will do next time.
  • Shower gel.   The accompanying text is 'Hospital shower gel is nasty and you're going to want a serious shower power after game time'.   They have a point.  After all the hard work, it would be nice to turn what is a fairly industrial shower into something  a little more scented.
  • Nursing dress.  I had planned to go to the birth centre, have the baby, and be home within about 4-6 hours of the birth.  We left for the birth centre at night, so I just took pyjamas and a dressing gown.  After all that's all I'd need, right?  (Cue sound of a million Mums laughing.)  Yeah, babies don't follow plans.  After a transfer up to the hospital, a loooong labour and overnight admittance, we left the afternoon two days after we arrived.   And I was still wearing my pyjamas (I managed to lose my dressing gown.  In fact, perhaps I should add that point - don't take anything you're not prepared to lose!)   It would have been nice to have had a shower with my shower gel and to have left wearing actual clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment