Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Weird Ad Wednesday...


...because alliteration is my friend.

With niche magazines comes niche advertising.  Most of the ads in Classic Tractor are normal enough.  A little tractor orientated, but that's hardly surprising.  I now know where to go for my topper and slurry pump gearboxes, my tractor paint, my luxury tractor suspension seats and my tractor dismantling.  Most of the ads are pretty straight forward - they display the product, and they tell you where to get it.

One ad though went the extra mile.  The message itself is clear - use only Massey Ferguson genuine parts in your Massey Ferguson genuine tractor, or you'll void your new tractor warranty - uh, maybe the last bit only applies to cars.  But you get the idea.  How though, to get this message to stand out?  How to attract the attention of the weary farmer, in from a long day tractoring his (or her) fields?  Well, kids are always cute.  Everyone loves kids.  And go-carts. And sombreros!  Who doesn't love a sombrero?  When could the combination of a kid, a go-cart and a sombrero ever be wrong?


When the kid doesn't know the difference between a sombrero and a wheel, that's when.

Maybe I'm being too harsh.   Maybe this is one of those pinewood derby type things, where the kid is meant to do the work but really his parents have done it all for him.  Maybe the pointing and tongue out combination is really saying "Hey, Dad - that's not a wheel.  Dad?  Dad?  Stop breathing in the tractor paint, Dad...".   Yeah, I think Dad needs to spend less time out in the field and more time on basic object recognition skills.

This ad also makes me want to see the sequel.  I mean, we're told that he'll regret it - but where's the proof?  I want the  shots of the go-cart hurtling down a hill on three wheels, the multi-coloured sombrero drifting down in the breeze after it.  I want commitment to my weird ads, gosh darn it!

1 comment: